Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Growing Old in Homestead

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Today's title: Battered and Bloody, but Unbowed.
Subtitle: Growing Old in Homestead

I'm swallowing hard right now so as not to sound ungrateful, because I
suppose that compared with fellow inhabitants in most of the world I
should not be ungrateful. And I'm not. BUT- when I perceive inequities
growing around me like a cancer I become concerned and cannot restrain the
urge to suggest that those who admire and encourage them should have a
chit-chat with my oncologist.

Yesterday I signed and mailed to the contractor a contract to replace my
sewer lateral. And by a most unlikely coincidence, today an article by
Millicent Skiles in the Patch caught my eye, big time, and drew me to it.
It's title? "How Does SASM Work?" Ms. Skiles then introduces us to the
Sewerage Agency of Southern Marin and its General Manager, Stephen Danehy.

Hey, I know about SASM! It's right across from the Middle School on
Sycamore Street. I pass by it often on my walks to the Post Office. And I
know Stephen Danehy. In his official capacity, he signed the letter the on
the table beside me as I write this, on SASM letterhead, dated November
15, 2010. "Mr. and Mrs. Raymond B. Cook. Thank you for your application to
participate in the Private Lateral Replacement Program…Please inform your
contractor that you are approved for the Grant Program." The GRANT
Program? ME??

Yup. me. That old guy with the white beard that you see walking around;
that used up, shriveled up and worn out Civil Servant, the guy who built
your freeways, tossed on the scrap heap of humanity who are cluttering up
the landscape waiting for their next retirement check and resisting the
efforts of honest folk to undo Prop 13.

I'm so far below the median income in Marin County that the rest of my
family would send me CARE packages if they knew about it.

Yup. me.

There was a time though when I could – and DID – afford to buy (and PAY
FOR) a house here.

But that was long ago, when that house I bought on Homestead Blvd was
sandwiched between two PUBLIC elementary schools that EVERYONE could
afford to send their children to.

Not too many hours ago in a personal email to someone in the hierarchy of
those who have bumped me down the demographic scale, I made a similar
lamentation about those two (now private) schools, and received back a
cordial reply and explanation of the other side of the story. But not an
apology for it of course, which was no surprise really, for the same
reason that the lion does not apologize to the gnu. One does what one is,
and that's that.

Chivalry alone does not restrain me from revealing the identity of this
person, but a good measure of fear, too, because even though this person
promised not to sic the dog on me the next time we meet, there was no
mention of not poisoning my coffee. However, I will include verbatim most
of the letter and its remarks, which seemed perfectly reasonable to their
maker:
(The limitations of Simple Text require me to explain that in the
following excerpt, with one exception which was in the original, the
parentheses and dots (…) … indicate editorial prerogative, which I have
tried to apply most judiciously)

Dear Mr, Cook,

We have met and I do remember you. I am sorry to hear that the presence
of two independent schools in your neighborhood has been such a negative
for you. I very honestly do believe that if these schools were still
public schools the traffic would be even worse than it is today because
public schools are not held to any traffic standard at all. You only have
to go and witness drop-off at any of the local public elementary schools
in Mill Valley to see that this is true.

When the Mt. Tamalpais and Marin Horizon sites were public schools, most
children walked or biked to their neighborhood school. That is no longer
the case in part because parents are much more worried about the safety of
their children (from stranger danger and traffic). In contrast, both of
the independent schools in your neighborhood are held to very strict
traffic management standards. (like) busing in almost all (…) elementary
school children and off-siting many (…) events in order to reduce cars
dropping off and in order to minimize event traffic in the neighborhood.

That said, I respect your right to your point of view about the traffic. I
have no clue as to why there are more coyote sightings in the area,(…)
:-)

If I owned a dog I would never sic it on anyone! I hope the next time we
meet, we can greet each other cordially, even if we do have differences of
opinion!!

(And the letter concluded with this very decent salutation, "Have a nice
holiday season!")

By that example then, I too, sign off for now with kindest regards to all.

Ray Cook

No comments: